Giant Tiger
Current Issue

February 18, 2026

Current Conditions in Shawville -0.4°C

Cross-border travel restricted

Cross-border travel restricted

Caleb Nickerson
caleb@theequity.ca

CALEB NICKERSON

PONTIAC April 1, 2020

On Wednesday, police forces across the Outaouais moved to establish checkpoints on inter-provincial bridges and between the MRCs of the region.

The move was announced that morning and by noon, officers were appearing at bridges between Ontario and Quebec, including the one at the Chenaux dam in Portage du Fort and also on Allumettes Island. Checkpoints were also present in between individual MRCs, including on Hwy. 148 between Bristol an Quyon.

The measures were to enforce previously announced requests from the provincial government that people not leave the city to hole up in their cottages, as well as impede people shopping over the border.

The restrictions exclude essential travel such as for work, humanitarian reasons or for a medical appointment.

Pontiac Warden Jane Toller had been requesting travel restrictions since they were put in place in a swathe of regions across the province on March 28.

“When we heard about the eight regions that were being given controlled access, the feeling in our CPO, which is the wardens for the five regions of the Outaouais, we felt it was important to at least inquire whether we could have some protection or at least controlled access,” she said, noting that rural regions near urban centres could see an influx of temporary residents getting out of the city.

“We could see the same pattern happening, where people were leaving their permanent residences and going to a secondary residence, perhaps thinking that it was more remote, with less chance of the virus coming there. But what public health is concerned about is that when people do that, they could very easily be bringing the virus to that area, and more more remote areas are the ones that are challenged with the ability to cope, with the hospital, and the number of doctors and nurses available.”

Sûreté du Québec spokesperson Marc Tessier said on Wednesday that for now, the checkpoints will be temporary and placed on the borders of the MRC.

“It’s not going to be a permanent checkpoint like they have in other regions for now,” he said. “We could be two hours on one area, then move and another two hours on … The main thing, it’s not a permanent roadblock for now.”

Tessier said that those travelling between regions would need proof that their trip is essential, such as a business card or ID badge from their work.

“We’re going to ask a lot of questions, first of driver’s license, where do you live, and where do you work,” he explained. “If that person is not able to prove that they’re essential services, they could be asked to turn around and get the proof … You can go for groceries in Shawville or Campbell’s Bay, you can’t go to Ontario. Stay in Quebec.”

Not all areas are taking the situation lightly, however. On April 3, the Municipality of L’Isle-aux-Allumettes released a statement following a special meeting of their council on March 31 regarding the potential closure of the border.

The statement called for the municipality to be consulted about any restrictions to the border between Ontario and Quebec.

When asked about the quick enactment of the changes, Toller said that giving people more warning would have led to a wave of cross-border traffic.

“Even the wardens didn’t know what time it was going to start. I was in the middle of a teleconference, with the mayors, …” she said. “That’s the nature, if they give a big announcement of say, a week, everyone’s going to try to beat that deadline and our population would be much higher than it is … That’s a matter involving the premier, we had nothing to do with when it was going to take place and none of us knew.”

Toller said that she had received some calls about officers not wearing masks and also not respecting the two metre rule that the government has been enforcing. She said she would be following up with the SQ to review their protocols.

“I think in this case where they are having to speak to a lot of people, it would probably be reassuring to the public if they were protecting themselves in some way,” she said.



Register or subscribe to read this content

Thanks for stopping by! This article is available to readers who have created a free account or who subscribe to The Equity.

When you register for free with your email, you get access to a limited number of stories at no cost. Subscribers enjoy unlimited access to everything we publish—and directly support quality local journalism here in the Pontiac.

Register or Subscribe Today!



Log in to your account

ADVERTISEMENT
Calumet Media

More Local News

How to Share on Facebook

Unfortunately, Meta (Facebook’s parent company) has blocked the sharing of news content in Canada. Normally, you would not be able to share links from The Equity, but if you copy the link below, Facebook won’t block you!