CALEB NICKERSON
FORT COULONGE
July 11, 2018
Pontiac MNA André Fortin was in Fort Coulonge on July 11 to announce that the provincial government has allocated an additional $75,000 for the local RénoRégion program, an increase of 23 per cent from last year.
Operated through the MRC by the Société d’habitation du Québec (SHQ), the program provides funds for low-income homeowners to improve their abodes.
“Homeownership is … a major expense in the life of families and their budgeting,” Fortin said. “It requires major investments, when you have to change windows, when you have to change the roof … the costs add up, and they add up quick.”
This year, there will be $400,000 to be doled out, a marked increase from last year’s $325,000.
“That investment we made last year allowed 36 projects in the Pontiac to go ahead,” he said. “This year, we’re hoping to either do more homes, or there will be bigger investments that go in.”
“It’s definitely one of the most popular programs at the MRC,” he added. “The wait list is quite long.”
Applications are submitted to the local SHQ representative at the MRC, Louis Caron, and funding is prioritized based on need and the urgency of the project. To qualify, the house must require more than $2,000 worth of work, up to a maximum of $12,000. The work must be to correct one or more major defects, like exterior walls, doors or plumbing.
“In particular, the way I see this, it allows seniors, people on limited incomes, to be able to stay in their homes and have pride in their homes,” said Pontiac Warden Jane Toller. “Local contractors are used, which is good. It’s putting money into the pockets of people here in the Pontiac.”
For more information on the program and selection criteria, contact Caron at 819-648-5689 ext. 227 or inspecteur.shq@mrcpontiac.qc.ca.














