CALEB NICKERSON
PONTIAC Oct. 2, 2019
The newly rolled out provincial firearms registry is causing headaches for some . . .
local hunters.
All non-restricted firearms, the category that covers most rifles and shotguns, had to be registered with the ministry of public security (MSP) by January 29 of this year.
MSP communications coordinator Patrick Harvey told THE EQUITY in an email that so far 790,277 long guns have been registered province-wide as of Sept. 17. He added that as of Sept. 22, there are still 128,715 files still being processed.
One of these files belongs to Matthew Dagg of Shawville, and is being held up by a couple of guns out of his whole collection, according to Dagg’s father Dave.
The elder Dagg explained that many older guns have unreadable or non-existent serial numbers, which delays the registration process.
“It’s a common thing,” he said.
He added that one of Matthew’s firearms is made by an obscure manufacturer that the government didn’t have in their database, further delaying the file. Dave’s firearms are already cleared with the MSP, but he said many people are in the same boat as his son.
However, those with files in process are still permitted to hunt, according to Harvey, they need only present a record of their registry application, in place of their finalized registration. He added that even if they don’t have proof of their application on them, peace officers have the means to verify that the registration request is pending with the MSP.
Dave said that information isn’t readily available on the MSP’s website, and he had to phone up their service line to find out if his son could participate in this year’s hunting season.













